- This event has passed.
International Overdose Awareness Day
September 1, 2017 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Join us alongside the hundreds of others hosting an International Overdose Awareness Day https://
FIU Students for Sensible Drug Policyis the only international 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of students dedicated to ending the war on drugs. We have over 400 chapters in over 30 different countries and we provide scholarships to students around the world.
Panthers for Recovery is a collegiate recovery community (CRC) at FIU. It is devoted to supporting students recovering from addiction. In addition we support family and friends of those in recovery or in active addiction. Allies are welcome as well.
Join FIU Students for Sensible Drug Policy and Panthers for Recovery in support of International Overdose Awareness Day on September 1st, 2017 from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm at the FIU Graham Center 3rd Floor in Panther Suite (Feel free to come earlier to chat!).
This event will provide a candlight vigil/memorial walk in remembrance for those who have passed due to overdose, education on overdose awareness and response, how to use and obtain the life-saving drug naloxone, recognizing and responding to different overdoses, and good Samaritan 911 policy, as well as a platform for story sharing and discussion.
Emy will be demonstrating the IDEA Exchanges mobile unit which is fully equipped to distribute harm reduction supplies such as naloxone (narcan), clean needles, condoms, and other harm reduction supplies, for free.
There will be a Lens Project gallery exhibition inside of the space. The Lens Project is a community-based participatory research intervention focusing on opioid addiction in Dominican Republic. They conduct educational art exhibits produced by persons addicted to opiates in the Dominican Republic. The project has been exhibited in the Dominican Republic and Miami, Florida, and has been presented at conferences in the US, Puerto Rico, Brazil, and The Netherlands.
– Students for Sensible Drug Policy (https://ssdp.org/)
– Panthers for Recovery (https://www.facebook.com/
– Emelina “Emy” Martinez, Outreach Coordinator, Miami IDEA Exchange, University of Miami (http://
– Dr. Armando Matiz and Dr. Mark Padilla, Syndemics Project, Latin American and Carribean Center, Florida International University (https://
– Alex Fundora, Founder of International Recovery Center (http://www.irc305.com/
– Deputy Chief Benjamin Guerrero from the Florida International Police Department (https://police.fiu.edu/)
About International Overdose Awareness Day:
Overdose Awareness Day has been a key remembrance event for those who have died from fatal drug overdoses since 2001. The event intends to reinforce the idea that no-one need feel shame or disgrace at the death of someone from drug overdose, and seeks to educate the community on what to do to prevent another tragedy. To obtain a broader overview of the day, visit the website at www.overdoseday.com.
International Overdose Awareness Day provides an opportunity for us to reflect on practical ways to prevent overdose in our community.
Overdose is preventable. Knowing the real facts about drugs and what to do when you see someone experiencing an overdose SAVES LIVES
Add to Personal Calendar
- September 1, 2017
- 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Art + Art History, Arts, Sciences & Education, Benjamin Leon Center for Geriatric Research and Education, Black Student Union, Campus Life, Campus Life – MMC, Center for Children and Families, Center for Leadership and Service, Center for the Humanities in an Urban Environment, Center for Women's and Gender Studies, Cognitive Neuroscience and Imaging Center, Counseling & Psychological Services, Department of Philosophy, Department of Psychology, Environmental & Occupational Health, Epidemiology, Forensic and Analytical Toxicology Facility, Global Learning, Governmental Relations, Graham Center Art Gallery, Health Policy & Management, Health Promotion & Desease Prevention, Healthy Living Program, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Honors College, It's On Us, Latin American and Caribbean Center, Law, Lectures & Conferences, LGBTQA Community, Main Calendar, Multicultural Programs and Services, Office of Study Abroad, Orientation and Parent Programs, Paralegal Studies, Research, Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, School of Integrated Science and Humanity, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, School of Social Work, Staff Development, Steven J. Green School of International and Public Affairs, Student Affairs, Student Alumni Association, Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, Student Events, Student Government Association, Student Health Services, Student Programming Council, Undergraduate Education, University College, University Graduate School, Václav Havel Program for Human Rights and Diplomacy, Victim Empowerment Program, Wellness and Recreation MMC, Women in Medicine and Science, Women's Center