- This event has passed.
Public Health AmeriCorps VISTA Positions
July 7, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join Oregon’s VISTA team to build healthy communities and your career.
Recruiting now for 19 positions starting in Fall 2016 throughout Oregon
SPREAD THE WORD
Positions are now open for the Fall 2016 team in the Oregon Health Authority/VISTA Partnership Project. Please forward this announcement widely to reach new professionals interested in public health, fighting poverty and career development through a year of national service.
LEARN MORE, CONTACT US AND APPLY:
Candidates are interviewed and hired as applications are received – so apply as soon as possible. Most positions will be filled by June 15.
CHALLENGING AND REWARDING NATIONAL SERVICE
During a challenging year of national service as AmeriCorps VISTA service members, our team members lead public health initiatives in their agencies and communities. A Year With AmeriCorps- Is It Right For You?
Our team serves in the areas of healthcare reform, community wellness programs, chronic disease prevention, public health department accreditation, quality improvement processes, health equity, oral health, women’s and children’s health, obesity reduction, environmental justice, and disaster healthcare volunteer management. We are a statewide sponsoring organization for approximately 30 VISTA positions.
BENEFITS AMERICORPS PROVIDES
· A $5,775 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or $1,500 post-service stipend
· $11,676 living allowance for the year
· Health benefits
· Financial support for relocation before and after your year of service
· Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service for qualified federal loans
· One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
BENEFITS OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY PROVIDES
· Team building with your cohort of more than 30 members around Oregon
· Kick off retreat orienting you to Oregon and public health
· Team meetings throughout the year for conferences, customized training and professional development
· Sponsored travel to conferences and trainings you choose
· Technical and networking assistance via our state public health program staff
· Constant support from our team at the state Public Health Division
· Support for your job hunting, career exploration, resume-building, networking for your next career moves
19 OPEN POSITIONS
Positions are available throughout the state, both in urban centers and scenic rural areas. Oregon’s unique healthcare reform makes it a wonderful place to build your career in public health.
· Clackamas Volunteers in Medicine Program Development: Expand the volunteer management, development, and cross-cultural services of a free clinic near Portland. Includes Latino community outreach, grant writing, volunteer program development.
· Coalition of Community Health Clinics Outreach Specialist: Expand the funding and communications capacity of a community health coalition based in Portland.
· Columbia County Public Health Tobacco and Accreditation: Reduce tobacco use and ensure quality, accredited Public Health Services along the scenic Columbia River.
· Coos County Public Health – National Agency Accreditation: Coordinate performance improvement efforts and workforce development in beautiful coastal Coos County.
· Coos County Public Health – Community Education Strategies: Lead community health education planning to improve health and use of free services in beautiful coastal Coos County.
· Crook County Health Department – Built Environment Planning: Help Crook County eat better and engage in active transport – and experience the high desert beauty in central Oregon.
· Klamath County Public Health – Accreditation and Communicable Disease Response: Coordinate efforts to accredit the entire health department and build partnership to confront communicable disease outbreaks in youth, from the beautiful home of Crater Lake National Park.
· Lincoln County Public Health – Health Equity and Quality Improvement: Coordinate a portfolio of equity-related projects on housing, quality improvement, grant-writing and community health improvement planning along Oregon’s beautiful north coast.
· Linn County Public Health Vulnerable Populations Plans: Lead vulnerable populations planning for services and food security after disasters in the beautiful Willamette Valley, based in Albany.
· Marion County Emergency Management Vulnerable Populations Plans: Lead vulnerable populations planning for services and food security after disasters in the beautiful Willamette Valley, from the state capital of Salem.
· North Central Public Health – Healthy Communities: Promote healthy, active lifestyles and experience the beauty of the Columbia River Gorge, based in The Dalles.
· Oregon Health Authority Climate Change and Environmental Health Communications: Build strategic communications and organize major events around health equity and climate change statewide, based in Portland.
· Oral Health Coalition- Strategic Communications: Develop communications strategies, build the coalition brand and manage communications campaigns to help expand oral health programs statewide, based in Wilsonville outside Portland.
· Oregon Health Authority, Statewide Behavioral Health Family Engagement: Strengthen family involvement in behavioral health services to improve health and access to care, based in state offices in Salem.
· Tillamook County Health Department Healthy Communities: Promote health equity in Oregon’s beautiful and coastal Tillamook County.
· Umatilla County Community Health Improvement Plan: Lead community health improvement planning in Oregon’s high desert city of Pendleton.
· Yamhill Community Care – Health Equity: Advance healthcare reform and community engagement in Yamhill Valley wine country near Portland.
· Yamhill Community Care – Early Learning Hub: Integrate health equity and early childhood literacy programs and outreach, based in Yamhill Valley wine country near Portland.
· Fall Team VISTA Leader: Help lead and run the team and entire OHA VISTA program, based in our state office in Portland. Prior term of VISTA, AmeriCorps or Peace Corps required.
OUR TRACK RECORD
This is the largest AmeriCorps VISTA program in Oregon with an established six-year history. While placed in local ground-level agencies, our state-level program supports VISTA team members with trainings in professional development, information technology and public health. Leveraging our proven track record and taking advantage of Oregon’s cutting edge public health work, we place VISTAs in exciting positions to better the health of people living in poverty.
May 18: Recruitment opens and candidates are interviewed and hired on a rolling basis at any time.
July 7: Recruitment closes. No interviews or candidate selection after this date.
*Most positions will be hired by June 15 – so apply soon!*
August 22 2016 – August 25, 2017: Your year of national service on our team.
The next team starts in April 2017! Contact us to be notified of openings.
LEARN MORE AND APPLY:
We welcome your email, calls and questions. Our shared inbox is a great way to reach us:
Or contact individuals directly:
VISTA Leader for Fall 2015-2016 team
VISTA Leader for Spring 2016-2017 team
Eric Gebbie, DrPH, MIA