- This event has passed.
Speaker Series: Critical challenges in treating the most high risk suicidal adolescents: Results from a recently completed RCT
December 1, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Based on the presentation, participants will earn one free continuing education credit and be able to:
1) Describe the components of an integrated CBT protocol for adolescents with co-occurring disorders.
2) Become familiar with the factors that may affect replication in clinical trials.
3) Describe potential new approaches for improving outcomes for treatment-resistant adolescents with co-occurring disorders.
About the speaker:
Anthony Spirito, Ph.D., ABPP is Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. He received his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University and completed his predoctoral and postdoctoral training at Boston Children’s Hospital. Dr. Spirito has published over 200 peer-reviewed articles and his work has been supported by NIMH, NIAAA, and NIDA as well as foundations, such as the American Foundation for Suicide Research. Along with colleagues at Brown, he recently completed three treatment development studies to determine if combined approaches, e.g., exercise and CBT, can increase the efficacy of treatment for adolescent depression. Dr, Spirito and colleagues developed an integrated, intensive CBT protocol for adolescents with substance use disorders, NSSI, depression, and suicidality as well as their parents. He and his colleagues just completed a test of this protocol in a large efficacy trial with a sample of adolescents discharged from inpatient psychiatric care. He also just completed a trial of the same protocol in an Intensive Outpatient Program in a community mental health clinic where mental health counselors were trained in the protocol.
Add to Personal Calendar
- December 1, 2017
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- Arts, Sciences & Education, Center for Children and Families, Continuing & Professional Education at the Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, Department of Psychology, Main Calendar, School of Integrated Science and Humanity, Speaker Series
- Event Tags:
- CASE, Center for Children and Families, Department of Psychology, FIU, school of Integrated Science and Humanity
- Academic Health Center 1-Center for Children and Families, Room 110
11200 s.w. 8th Street
Miami, 33199 United States + Google Map